VMware Cloud Community
adamair96
Contributor
Contributor

Issue importing VM

Hello,

I am having various issues with importing OVFs into ESXI.

Client version:

ESXi version:

ESXi build number:

Error when importing is: Task Failed - Invalid configuration for device '0'. This is shown in recent tasks under monitor. Can anyone advise? It fails at the import vApp stage. Description is Deploys a virtual machine or vApp.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@adamair96 

Which OVFs?

How are you attempting the import?

Tried OVFTOOL?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
adamair96
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @scott28tt 

So the OVFs are virtual machines on VMware Workstation with the vmdk being just under 4GB. I use the file < export to ovf option. I assume this is a substitute of the OVF tool. See attached.

I attempt to upload in VMware vCentre (web) as mentioned previously and no luck

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@adamair96 

Perhaps it's a VM that has a hardware version that your vSphere environment doesn't support.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003746

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which VMware Workstation version did you use for the export?
Please attach the VM's .ovf file to a reply post (compressed as a .zip file).

André

0 Kudos
adamair96
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

So I changed the hardware compatibility settings and managed to import it fine. Thanks The new issue is that my second OVF where the vmdk is around 30GB is not importing and is stuck on 0% before I get auto logged out. Any advice on this? It is a Windows 10 box.

0 Kudos