VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

Is that necessary define dns record in dns server before installing vcsa

Is that necessary to define a DNS record before vcsa installation or if i just run DNS server and insert DNS ip adress due vcsa installation is ok ?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

It is always recommended to have all DNS record added before you start installation.

Please consider marking this answer as correct and helpful if this helps you.

regards

GS

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

So thanks

but since i don't have access to DNS server and can not define a record for VCSA want to know can i just insert dns ip address server due installation ?

BR

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

DNS entry is must before you start installation.

If you start it with out DNS entry you may have issues with installation. YOu may try but you may hit issues.

Please consider marking this answer as correct and helpful if this helps you.

regards

GS

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

BR,

Last time I tried deploying vCSA without a DNS entry the installation failed (I think on v6.0?). Not sure if that's still an issue, but I suspect it is.

You could probably insert host file entries during the install, but I'm not sure it's worth the wffort to try.

Lars

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

baber

You need to build internal DNS. Yes, it is technically possible to install it without it but that is not advisable. Even in a personal lab environment, you need to have DNS anyway. If you're short on resources, you can always deploy a Zentyal VM in a 1 x 1 configuration which gives you a DNS server.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The DNS "check" during VCSA installation is performed on the Client from which you start the Installer.

So when you dont have the customer DNS Server available or they may installed later as VM on top of than ESX just enter the needed IP and FQDN in your local etc/hosts File to pass the validation check.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

It depends what is setting on DNS server

for more information please look MS blog

https://www.pctips3000.com/enable-automatic-updates-for-dns-server-in-windows-server-2008/

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

As everybody already said, yes you should have records in DNS. But check this post by William Lahm https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2018/12/is-a-dns-server-still-required-when-using-a-static-ip-for-vc...

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

so thanks

but i installed vcsa without define specific dns record in my dns server just insert dns server ip address and vcsa installed successfully

But could not understand IS that necessary to define dns record or not

BR

0 Kudos
kenbshinn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should always make sure that you have the DNS records setup before you do the install. It might not be a requirement (as stated in your comment) but because SO many vSphere Services use DNS.

For instance, and I have never seen this before, Someone in my lab added a esxi host to vCenter without using the DNS name, so it added just fine, however when I when to fix the SSL Certificate Issue, I noticed that I still got the message while using the FQDN of the esxi host. I looked at the certificate on the machine and it would appear the VMCA issued the certificate to the IP Address and not the host name because that is how it was added to vCenter.

It might not be a big deal for you, but you might see weird things like that.

0 Kudos