VMware Cloud Community
g580
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it still possible to use a single host for vSphere 5.5, vCenter, VMs and datastores?

Hi,

I just deployed a management host and setup vCenter.

i want to create a datastore to store ISOs and then deploy some test VMs.  However, this doesn't appear possible.

So what am I missing.

Do I need a second host for the datastores and VMs?

Please kindly advise.

10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome o the Community,

you can basically deploy your complete IT on a single ESXi host. What's the issue you have?

André

0 Kudos
g580
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi André,

Thanks for your response.  I have installed vSpehere 5.5 on the host.

Then I installed the vCenter appliance.

Then I use the vSphere client to connect to vCenter.

Then I create a data center.

At this point, I should be able to create datastores to upload my OS ISOs and/or create VMs. 

However, all the options for creating a datastore are grayed out. 

I also cannot create VMs?  for example, File -> New -> Virtual Machine ... is grayed out.

What do you think is going on?

--

thanks,

Oscar

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vCenter Server only manages the resources. In order to get this to work you need to add the ESXi host to the vCenter Server's inventory.

André

0 Kudos
g580
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi André,

I basically can't add anything to the vCenter Server.

The difference between what I am doing now and the past is this:  In the past, I would deploy vCenter server inside Window Server 2008.

This time, I want to use the vCenter appliance.

--

Best regards,

Oscar

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There's not much difference in the functionality between the Windows version and the Appliance. So after creating a Datacenter in the vCenter Server inventory you should have the "Add Host ..." option either from the pop-up menu (right click the Datacenter) of from the "First Steps" tab (when using the Web Client).

André

PS: I assume you are using the SSO administrator account "administrator@vsphere.local" to logon to vCenter Server!?

0 Kudos
g580
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi André,

This is very puzzling.

I am digging around to see what I may be doing wrong.

I will try to reinstall vCenter if I don't make progress.

Thanks for your help so far.

--

Thanks,

Oscar

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which options do you see in the popup menu for the Datacenter object in the vCenter Server inventory. maybe a screenshot can help finding out the missing part!?

André

g580
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi André,

There aren't useful snapshots.  Basically, the menus are grayed out.

I will re-install the vCenter appliance and pay attention to the options.

--

Thanks again for your help,

Oscar

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to make sure you didn't miss my PS from a previous reply, did you login using the SSO administrator account "administrator@vsphere.local" which was created when you setup the appliance? If you ran the default setup the password may still be "vmware".

André

g580
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are right André,

The problem was with the SSO administrator account.  There was something wrong with administrator@vsphere.local. 

I just finished re-configured SSO and reset the password.  Now everything is working like a champ.

Thank you so very much for all your help.

--

Best regards,

Oscar

0 Kudos