VMware Cloud Community
wangdali321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to obtained the ESXi alarms through vCenter by SNMP?

I tried to get vCenter's alarms through SNMP4J, but I can only obtain a few SNMP trap such as vsphere-client alarm.

I want SNMP to get all the alarms displayed in vcenter, including the shutdown of the virtual machine.

vCenter SNMP trap only contain itself alarms, and other alarms need to be configured the ESXi's SNMP to obtain?

Can I pass other alarms through vCenter SNMP trap?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Did you specify "sending snmp trap" as an alarm action?

Check the "events" in in the monitoring section on vcenter level when the trigger kicks in. For testing i always use an an alarm for which i can reduce the treshold.

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the alarm is tripped in vCenter, an SNMP trap should be available regardless whether it's for an ESXi host or not. If you aren't seeing this then we need much more information from you as far as what you've configured, where, and how.

0 Kudos
wangdali321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi

Thanks for your response.

I want to collect all the alarm information displayed on vCenters in time, and display it uniformly.

1. Configure the host that receives vCenter's trap.

vcenter_snmp.PNG

2. Listening traps on udp:10.65.93.54/162 .

listen.PNG

3. I can't get alarm such as shutdown VM , via SNMP trap. These alarms can be seen on the vsphere-client.

alarm.PNG

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Did you specify "sending snmp trap" as an alarm action?

Check the "events" in in the monitoring section on vcenter level when the trigger kicks in. For testing i always use an an alarm for which i can reduce the treshold.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
wangdali321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Joerg.

It's OK, now. Some Alarm Definitions not specify  "sending snmp trap"  as an alarm action.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The "sending snmp trap" action is not a default one. For unknown reason a handfull of the 5432876 vcenter alarms have this action specified since ages Smiley Happy   I always stumble over these settings when specify the needed "email" action on the alarms.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos