VMware Cloud Community
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Insufficient disk space on datastore 'xyz'.

vCenter V6.7u3q
ESXi 6.0u3d

I'm upgrading the vCenter & hosts and am trying to put hosts in Maintenance Mode, however when I try to manually migrate a 500GB server to another host, I get the error:

"MyServer

MyHost

Insufficient disk space on datastore 'xyz'."

The swap datastore is capacity 103.27GB, Used 427.31MB Free 102.86MB.

I then tried to migrate another server from another host, this servers is 5.67TB provisioned and it migrates OK.

I don't understand the issue?

All my hosts use the same swap datastore as the Virtual Machines \ Swap File Location. This is the second time it has happened to me and I had to increase the swap datastore size, but I'm not sure by how much.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are migrating virtual machines between two ESX hosts that store the virtual machine swap files in different locations then you may require enough disk space to store two full sized copies of the virtual machine swap file in the destination swap file datastore .  

In your case 190GB X 2 =380GB Space on the swap datastore . 

Hope this is clear . 

Thanks Pashnal 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi , 

Swap file depends on the size of the memory , What is the amount of memory allocated to this VM which is not migrating . 

Regards, 

pashnal 

JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The server I am trying to migrate has 3.8GB memory used, 190GB allocated to the VM and is using 190.54GB of host memory.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it using 190.54GB  or MB of host memory ?  Just to confirm if its a swap file issue , will you be able to reserve all the memory for this vm under VM edit setting and select reserve memory and then migrate the VM and check 

0 Kudos
JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The virtual server has 190GB allocated to it.

0 Kudos
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are migrating virtual machines between two ESX hosts that store the virtual machine swap files in different locations then you may require enough disk space to store two full sized copies of the virtual machine swap file in the destination swap file datastore .  

In your case 190GB X 2 =380GB Space on the swap datastore . 

Hope this is clear . 

Thanks Pashnal 

JDMils_Interact
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. Looks like that fixed the issue.

0 Kudos