VMware Cloud Community
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor

Installation via Appliance vs. ISO image?

What, if any, are the drawbacks from creating a vCenter Server VM on my ESXi host via an appliance import?  Are there issues with the single sign on?

Second, if going the appliance route, I have the .OVA file and an .OVF and 2 .vmdk files.  (See the table of all the files below)  Does the OVA file contain everything I need and includes the OVF and VMDK files?

All software is 5.5 Update 2b.

vCenter Server 5.5 Update 2b
  and Modules

VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-2183112-20140901-update02.iso

Installer for vSphere Single Sign On, VMware vCenter Server,
  VMware vSphere Client and Web Client, VMware vSphere Update Manager, VMware
  vSphere Update Manager Download Service, VMware vCenter Orchestrator, vSphere
  ESXi Dump Collector, vSphere Syslog Collector, vSphere Auto Deploy, VMWare
  Log Browser, and VMware vSphere Authentication Proxy. NOTE: vSphere Single
  Sign On, VMware vSphere Update Manager, VMware vCenter and Web Client
  requires 64-bit capable servers for installation and execution.

Appliance

VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.5.0.20200-2183109_OVF10.ova

OVA file for the VMware vCenter Server Appliance. Use the
  VMware vSphere Client to import this .ova file to your setup. NOTE: Please
  make sure to save this file locally with the .ova extension

Appliance – OVF File

VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.5.0.20200-2183109_OVF10.ovf

OVF file for the VMware vCenter Server Appliance. Use the
  VMware vSphere Client to import this .ovf file and the related .vmdk files to
  your setup. NOTE: Please make sure to save this file locally with the .ovf
  extension

Appliance – System Disk

VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.5.0.20200-2183109-system.vmdk

System disk file for the VMware vCenter Server Appliance.
  Download this .vmdk file in the same directory as the .ovf file above.

Appliance – Data Disk

VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-5.5.0.20200-2183109-data.vmdk

Data disk file for the VMware vCenter Server Appliance. Download
  this .vmdk file in the same directory as the .ovf file above.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not a HUGE fan of the appliance, but there are a few advantages... also some disadvantages (VUM, etc...)

This site has a good write up comparing them.

munkyman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  I will be doing a HA configuration and from that article it states that the heartbeat for that is not supported - so that answers the question right there.

So for the install, I'll need to create a Windows Server VM first and then install vCenter Server?  Is there an appliance for a Windows server 2012 R2 vm?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No there is not appliance for windows, you will need to use iso image/Disk for VC installation once you have windows vm.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... it states that the heartbeat for that is not supported ...

I think you misunderstood this. The article talks about "vCenter Heartbeat" which is (was) a feature to provide High-Avalibility for vCenter Server. All features required for HA (Host and VM monitoring) are the same in the appliance and the Windows version. I've been deploying the appliance at most my clients since version 5.1 and they are happy with it.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is it HA for VC or HA for VM's on VC. If it is HA for VC then you need to use heartbeat if it is HA for VM's inside the VC then you can do it with both, VCSA or Windows VC.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no - there is no appliance for w2k12r2. The vCenter appliance is based off of SUSE Linux (v11),  vCenter compatibility matrix states that 5.5u2 is supported on W2k12r2, but i my experience, it only likes to install to the default locations (though admittedly, that may be our own security settings). Specifically VUM and the Web Client. Other than that, W2k12r2 works great.

The "simple Install" will install everything at the default locations (system partition). If you want to install it on a different location or partition, then you're going to have to install each component separately (an extra 4 mouse clicks).

0 Kudos
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor

If using the appliance, do you have to install the single sign on component?  Or does the appliance come ready to go with all prerequisites installed?  I am following the instructions in the vSphere Installation and Setup Guide and it isn't clear.

0 Kudos
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SSO and the Web client are embedded within the appliance. VUM and the other add-ons are not - which is one of the big drawbacks to the appliance (IMO). The appliance is a one-stop-shop for the minimal requirements needed by vCenter. and of the compenents installed, you can manage them with either the C# client or the web interface.

0 Kudos