VMware Cloud Community
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installation issues with 6.5 and 6.7

Please help!!! I am running into this weird installation issues with VCSA 6.5 / 6.7. No matter if I install externally PSC or embedded with vCenter, the process stuck at 80%.

I have VMUG membership and I downloaded 6.5 ESXi, 6.5 / 6.7 vCenter from there.

I have a small lab (on a shuttle box). Shuttle has i7 8700 CPU, 64gb ram, and plenty of HDD space on SSD with Windows 10 OS on it. Installed vmware workstation on it (Version 15). On top of that I installed ESXi 6.5 (WITHOUT any issues).

I have a domain controller server 2008 r2 where I created all entries using forward lookup / reverse lookup zone. So, I have host record entries for vcenter, psc, esxi, domain controller. I verified all this. ESXi has NTP set. Time is syncing with outside NTP server. (I also read somewhere that we need internal NTP server but even internal has to sync with something externally).

Problem I am getting into –

I have the vcenter binaries on domain controller which means I shouldn’t have connection issues (everywhere is 192.168.1.x range, esxi is pointing to domain controller for DNS server, I can ping back and forth).

When I run external PSC installation from domain controller, it stuck at 80% and sits there (waiting for vm to start), vm never starts and it fails. I checked the installer logs and it says – “ovfDeployTimer: ovf deployment failed after 3600000 ms passed in which no response from the server was received”. Why? domain controller and esxi have connectivity in between. I even deployed the OVF directly from ESXi but same thing (stuck at 80%).

I also downloaded the ISO from vmware directly. Tried 6.5 and 6.7 but same error on both.

I also bypassed DNS and used all IP addresses BUT SAME scenario (stuck at 80%).

I cant call VMWARE since its home lab. I tried everything I could.

PLEASE HELP!!! Let me know if someone came across this kinda issue and how was this fixed.

0 Kudos
36 Replies
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From my windows 10 PC, I can ping ESXi, I can open the weblink and log into it aswell (since everything is under 192.168.1.x range) and I am using bridged networking from workstation side.

But it stuck at 80% and VM never power on even if I run the installer from my windows 10 PC or DC1.

As a matter fact, when I used OVF (VLADAN's way), and I typed my VCSA IP from windows 10 PC, it opens and ask whether I want to use html5 or webclient, and when I click on either one of them, it doesn't work. I did the same from my DC1 and it opened.

0 Kudos
lawbantell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link AlessandroRomeo68

I tried it again following the steps and still got the same error - see screenshot Capture and Capture 2. I rebooted the vCenter server and saw the error message on screenshot in Capture3. I attached the error log too in case you can help identify the cause.

I am thinking it may be the installation file so i will try another installation file tonight.

Thanks for your help!

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

0 Kudos
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I remember this error message 'Failed to start services. Firstboot Error' and I believe I just deleted / reinstalled the VCSA.

6.5 and 6.7 installation have been such a pain and I cant install it the way it is supposed to be.

0 Kudos
lawbantell
Contributor
Contributor

I have deleted and reinstalled several times now. I think i had to use vCenter 6.5 the last time I had built the environment and that is why am thinking it's the installation file. I have downloaded another install ISO file for 6.7, I will do same for 6.5 and try again tonight.

I am hoping vCenter 6.5 can support ESXi 6.7 right?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter version has be EQUAL or HIGHER than ESXi version.

0 Kudos
EricChigoz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I think the problem will be DNS.

I also bypassed DNS and used all IP addresses BUT SAME scenario (stuck at 80%).

please install again and this time try this.

open ssh session and add to /etc/hosts file before installation gets to 60%

127.0.0.1         photon-machine

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   photon-machine

Find this helpful? Please award points. Thank you !
0 Kudos
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Eric - Sorry I didnt understand.

Open SSH session to what?

I run the installer (I tried from my windows 10 box, from Domain Controller), I see that VM is being deployed on ESXi host, then the installation sits at 80% and the VM never power on.

0 Kudos
lawbantell
Contributor
Contributor

The installation is now progressing with another vCenter ISO file

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did it work? So the installation ISO was corrupt? It may be tedious but it's always worth checking the hashes post download.

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S
0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Can you try to attach a test VM (windows or linux) to the 'VM Network' adapter and give this VM an IP from the vCenter subnet. after that check the connectivity between this VM and domain controller.

Waiting your feedback,

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
lawbantell
Contributor
Contributor

It works with the new ISO file. After everything worked, I wiped the entire things and started again with the new ISO file and it went through without errors.

Thanks,

Lawrence

0 Kudos
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No it is not working. The only method works with running OVA directly on the host.

Not sure if anyone has set up like me.

- Windows10 with workstation 15, bridged networking, everything is under 192.168.1.x. range

- 1 x domain controller with DNS, forward lookup, reserve all set, tested prior to installation. Pointing to pool.ntp.org.

- 1 x nested esxi 6.5, 24gb ram, 4 vcpus, 400gb ssd, pointing to domain controller for NTP, DNS, and it is also in domain.

Straight forward setup.

I have all the binaries on domain controller (installed from vmug, vmware directly, 6.5, 6.7) where I run the installer from but the VM never power on and installation is stuck at 80%.

0 Kudos
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Deploying using OVA method works and I can ping everywhere to and from so VM network works.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you doing it using OVA method OR running the installer from somewhere else?

0 Kudos
lawbantell
Contributor
Contributor

It's the same installation file you used for the OVA and the previous installs that stops at 80% right? I realized from past experience that even though the progress stops at 80%, the installation completed. Chen the ESXi and you will see the VCSA is up and shows you can browse https://vCSA_IP:5480. You can then continue to stage 2 to complete the install - please try that.

0 Kudos
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, its the same package that works as an OVA but not running as an installer.

I mentioned earlier that VCSA never power on so I cant get to the backend using 5480.

0 Kudos
rajivkumar07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FINALLYYYY, I was able to get thru this today. Here are the steps I have taken -

- Got rid of my domain controller

- Deployed esxi 6.7 u2 on workstation 15 (left the DNS, domain info blank, didn't setup any NTP)

- From my windows 10 desktop, ran the installer 6.7 vcsa. For DNS, I just put 192.168.1.1 (my home router).

And thats about it. It went smooth.

This is just a weird way to fix this I think. What would leaving the DNS info blank make it work now? Thats the question.

Thanks for everybody's input on the tshoot part though!!

0 Kudos