VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Indeendent and dependent disk modes

As I read a few documents about independent and dependent disk I understand following is that correct:

I read this document

Virtual Machine Disk Modes

independent-persistent disk = this type is such as dependent disk just we can not get snapshot from disk in this mode

independent-non persistent disk = in this type after reboot-poweroff/on all of data on that disk will be remove

Is that correct ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, it sounds like you understood the modes correctly.

”Independent” means independent of any VM snapshots, so the virtual disk will be excluded from any snapshot taken of the VM. This is true regardless of “persistent” or “non-persistent”.

"Persistent” means data is written to the virtual disk immediately and there is no reversal of changes during VM operations such as a power off/on.

"Non-persistent” means that changes to the virtual disk are written to a delta file rather than to the base file, so the virtual disk reverts to the previous state when you power off/on the VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, it sounds like you understood the modes correctly.

”Independent” means independent of any VM snapshots, so the virtual disk will be excluded from any snapshot taken of the VM. This is true regardless of “persistent” or “non-persistent”.

"Persistent” means data is written to the virtual disk immediately and there is no reversal of changes during VM operations such as a power off/on.

"Non-persistent” means that changes to the virtual disk are written to a delta file rather than to the base file, so the virtual disk reverts to the previous state when you power off/on the VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog