VMware Cloud Community
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Incorrect VCSA Deployment Size

Examining one of our systems recently I discovered the VCSA was 2 vCPU, 10GB vRAM which implies a "Tiny" deployment size. I believe it should have been "Small", i.e. 4 vCPU, 16GB vRAM, etc.

If I run the VCSA installation process as per the upgrade instructions, can the same process be used to correct the deployment size and import all the vCenter objects from the incorrectly sized one?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Stephen,

I had this problem from when I had four hosts now to 23 I didn't go through the installation process I turned off the VCSA, logged into the host with the host client and changed the vCPU to 8 and changed the RAM to 32GB restarted the VM and it worked fine.

but I wouldn't recommend using this long term as the storage also has to be changed and I didn't.

Matt

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Yeah, unfortunately I need the whole corrected disks sizes and all.

I have a hunch that deploying a whole new appliance will be able to pull the data from the old one before replacing it. I just wanted to be sure.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

An upgrade of vCSA uses the built-in sizes from the new appliance and doesn't rely upon what the source vCSA had configured.

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Does that mean I can deploy a new VCSA at the same version but at "Small" size as an upgrade to the existing "Tiny" VCSA?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, you can't do a horizontal upgrade from, for example, 6.5 => 6.5. Upgrades are always forward in version.

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Aw! Shame! Redeploy it is then. Just as well I don't have to do it myself, I'll get someone to do it! Tee Hee!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Well, if it's just a matter of changing the CPU and memory, shut it down and make the changes. There's no special "magic" the installer invokes after it sets those values.

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

I could do that, I would have to do all the vDisk sizes too, because the installation is to be validated against a strict set of expected values, which includes these sizes too.

I haven't been able to find a definitive list of VMDK file sizes for "Tiny" and "Small" deployments, so they can be adjusted to the correct size.

0 Kudos