VMware Cloud Community
aidneosi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Import sample roles from vCenter to ESXi hosts

Hello everyone,

Under the "Roles" section in vCenter, there are several sample roles, one of which I would like to assign to users.Users sign in through our AD, and when I go to the Permissions tab for the hosts while connected to the vCenter server, our domain does not appear in the dropdown when adding permissions.

If I try adding the permissions while connected to the hosts themselves, I can see our domain (and users/groups), but cannot assign the sample roles.

I understand why this happens, what I'm wondering is if there's a way to import one of these sample roles to the hosts? So far, the only way I can see to accomplish this is to create the role for each of the hosts separately, as there doesn't seem to be a way to import roles from other hosts even.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aidneosi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out, you have to add the vCenter server to the domain by going through the web client and adding the domain as an identity source. After that, you'll be able to see your domain in the dropdown when adding permissions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you have connected your vCenter to AD you should be able to use AD for setting up the permissions. You state that users sign in through AD so that should be possible. I'm just curious about your remark "I understand why this happens". Why is this happening? vCenter centralizes management of your hosts so you should not configure this locally on a host.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
aidneosi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out, you have to add the vCenter server to the domain by going through the web client and adding the domain as an identity source. After that, you'll be able to see your domain in the dropdown when adding permissions.

0 Kudos