VMware Cloud Community
rlaplante
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Import/Export vDS Questions

Hoping that someone can clarify a few things for me.

I read the following as that I can export the vDS (es) from on vCenter and import them into another.  Not that creating vDS is difficult of time consuming, but this would ensure they are configured the same.  Is that correct?

' You can export vSphere distributed switch and distributed port group configurations to a file. The file preserves valid network configurations, enabling distribution of these configurations to other deployments. '

(ref: Exporting/importing/restoring Distributed Switch configs using vSphere Web Client (2034602) | VMware...)

Second question.  During the Import the same KB indicates to check 'Preserve original distributed switch and port group identifiers' 

This make sense if I am restoring to the same vCenter for recovery purposes.  I'm not sure how this would apply to a new deployment.

Here is my senario:  VC1 has two clusters / 24 hosts serving infrastructure and VDI respectively.  VC2 has one cluster  with 3 hosts the and is a dedicated vSphere related Management services SSO/VUM etc.  These are all in the same data center and both vCenter deployments have the same vDS needs (except VDI)

I am thinking that if I can cross deployments I would not want to 'Preserve the Original ...identifiers'  I just want to import the vDS and portgroups without any previous host/vmnic mapping etc.

Thanks in advanvce.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that is correct, you can export and import into a new VC

For your second question, do not IMPORT with the IDs if you want to use it in a different VC:

Note: While importing dvswitch settings to a different vCenter Server, do not select Preserve original distributed switch port group identifiers.

I hope this answers your questions.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that is correct, you can export and import into a new VC

For your second question, do not IMPORT with the IDs if you want to use it in a different VC:

Note: While importing dvswitch settings to a different vCenter Server, do not select Preserve original distributed switch port group identifiers.

I hope this answers your questions.

0 Kudos
rlaplante
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dont see an option to exclude exporting the ID's  It is very possible that I am just not understanding what is meant by switch port group identifiers.  The two options are to export just the vDS or the vDS and all port groups.  I want the port groups, just not the host/vmnic mappings as they are not the same in the other cluster.  I may also be way over thinking this.  Your note however answered my question.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not a problem.

You only get the option: Preserve original distributed switch port group identifiers.  when importing Smiley Happy - Typo on the other reply, I'll correct that

So yes select "include portgroups"

Hope the helps! Remember to mark as correct to help others.

0 Kudos