VMware Cloud Community
LeslieBNS9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Impact of changing the vCenter appliance IP address

We are replacing our vCenter (Windows Install) with a new install of the vCenter Appliance. For many reasons we need to retain the same IP address of the old vCenter. I am staging the vCenter appliance and the time of cutover I am going to either 1) re-ip the appliance to have the old vCenter IP or 2) add a 2nd NIC with the same IP address as the old vCenter

Are there any caveats to either of these options? and which option would be best?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
antonmajor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not to my knowledge. You should be golden.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
antonmajor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The most straight forward way is to deploy the appliance, configure it, remove the hosts connected to the windows vcenter, cutover the IP on the appliance, and reconnect all the hosts.

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
smithar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can configure static IP for the new vCenter appliance. Please refer to Configure Network Settings for the VMware vCenter Server Appliance

If you found this answer useful, please consider the use of Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks
0 Kudos
LeslieBNS9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know how to configure an IP address. I am just wondering if changing the IP address will cause any other issues that I may not be aware of.

0 Kudos
antonmajor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not to my knowledge. You should be golden.

0 Kudos