VMware Cloud Community
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If ESX server crash

Hi!

I have a ESX cluster with 3 host and I was thinking about if one of my hosts do crash how do I do to get it back in to the cluster?

Save config files? or will vCenter fix everything with magic if I will use same esx image and IP address?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you have to reinstall ESX on your server, all you have to do is add it back to the cluster as you would any new host.  If you're using the same hostname, you'd get a certificate error initially, but once you re-enter the root credentials, you can proceed with adding the host to the cluster.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you have to reinstall ESX on your server, all you have to do is add it back to the cluster as you would any new host.  If you're using the same hostname, you'd get a certificate error initially, but once you re-enter the root credentials, you can proceed with adding the host to the cluster.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

I think there is no other simplest way to explain,Well explained jdp.

"When you fail to plan, you plan to   fail."
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply and the good answer!

I was hopeing that would be the solution so I'm very happy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gajuambi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Assuming that you meant the host is completely dead when you said crash, i suggest you refer this GUI utility [http://www.shogan.co.uk/vmware/esxi-5-0-host-backup-restore-gui-utility-powercli-based/] to backup your configuration and restore it.

so when a host is dead beyond recovery you just reinstall it, restore the configuration back to the host using this GUI and add it to the vcenter .even if u dont backup any configuration all u r doing is reinstalling it,

configure vswitches,

configure connections to the storage

add it to vcenter

OR

use that gui utility and back up your configs time to time,

prevention is better than cure

---------------------- Gajendra D Ambi [pardon my chat lingo]
0 Kudos
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes exactly, if host is dead.

where can I find gui backup utility? in vcenter? I have essentials plus if that mathers...

thanks

0 Kudos
gajuambi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

http://www.shogan.co.uk/vmware/esxi-5-0-host-backup-restore-gui-utility-powercli-based/

cli based GUI tool to back and restore an ESXi

---------------------- Gajendra D Ambi [pardon my chat lingo]
iceman10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nice! Work like a charm Smiley Happy

thanks!

0 Kudos