VMware Cloud Community
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

How to verify VCenter 5.5 server Primary Network Identifier (PNID)

I had a vCenter Server 5.5 installed in Windows Server 2008 R2 which is setup by previous engineer. Currently I would like to change the hostname of this Windows server (the IP will still retained). From what I learned, I cannot change the hostname of this Windows server if the vCenter System Name is using FQDN.

Kindly advise whether this is true or not. If so, how I can check whether the vCenter System Name is using FQDN or IP address?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
guruswapanvi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, we should not change the hostname of the Windows server if the vCenter System Name is using FQDN.

To check whether the vCenter System Name is using FQDN or IP address, you can check the registry entry in the following location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE -->VMware, Inc --> VMware Infrastructure --> VMware VirtualCenter --> VCInstanceId.

Also check : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE -->VMware, Inc --> VMware Infrastructure --> VMware VirtualCenter --> Install --> Computer_FQDN.

Also you can check the vimist log in the temp folder for  USE_FQDN = 1 and FQDN values.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE -->VMware, Inc --> VMware Infrastructure --> VMware VirtualCenter --> VCInstanceId

show the hostname

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE -->VMware, Inc --> VMware Infrastructure --> VMware VirtualCenter --> Install --> Computer_FQDN show the IP

In this situation, which entry is correct?

0 Kudos
guruswapanvi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How about log?

If possible can u attach the log?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

It seem to me that it is using IP but I not too sure. Here I attached the log of vminst

0 Kudos
guruswapanvi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From the attached log i can say that it is using IP as USE_FQDN is NOT set to 1.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. So, I can assume that it is safe for me to change the hostname of the Windows server?

0 Kudos
guruswapanvi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This i am not sure... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Thanks a lots

0 Kudos
NavalgundRaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi A07,

You have below options here.

1. you can use the ip address.(temporarily you can use it ) however it is not recommended.

2.you can go ahead and change the vCenter name and DNS entries on the server along with other components of the vcenter such as SSO, VUM if they are configured to use the older name and change is required where there is option to change the new name.

make sure using nslookup to verify the correctness of the name resolutions.

and lastly as per my personal experience point of view, it is always best to use the FQDN for vCenter and related products are concern.

Regards
Basavaraj.R Navalgund

Note: If you found this correct or answer useful please consider the use of the Correct buttons to award points. Regards Basavaraj.R Navalgund
0 Kudos
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I plan to go ahead to change the vcenter hostname and update the DNS entry. I was concern what settings or registry in the Windows Server that need to be updated after change to the new hostname. Any guide?

By the way, will the vcenter back to its original state if I use back old hostname after I found out that I am unable to up the vcenter with the new hostname?

0 Kudos