VMware Cloud Community
71rellimcm39
Contributor
Contributor

How to send the whole log file from ESXi server to a RHEL Logging Server?

Trying to store the whole log files from ESXi servers to say a RHEL logging server.

I'm aware of the settings under Configuration Tab > Advanced Settings > Syslog in vCenter.  Here there are two options:  Syslog.global.logDir and Syslog.global.logHost.  The first one just places logs on another ESXi server and the last option can send the logs either via UDP or TCP to say /var/log/messages.

However we want to move the logs themselves from the ESXi host to the RHEL logging server.

This is vCenter 5.5 that we are working with.

thanks

3 Replies
HarjitSB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, If you have already setup the Linux Machine as Syslog Server then there are many ways to configure Syslog setting on esxi level.

Please follow the given article to configure -

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20033...

Let me know if still have any query, will definitely try to help.

Rgds

-Harjit

vmwars.wordpress.com

71rellimcm39
Contributor
Contributor

Correct in that I have a RHEL server already setup as a syslog server with other RHEL server sending their logs to it via rsyslog.

We can send ESXi logs to the RHEL syslog server, however they end up under /var/log/messages using the Syslog.global.logHost configuration.

We don't want to mix up the RHEL logging with the EXSi logging. 

Ideally we would like to move the logs from the ESXi server and place them on the RHEL server, say /logging/esxi/(hostname here).

Does ESXi have the capability to configure this?

thanks

0 Kudos
71rellimcm39
Contributor
Contributor

Just wondering, does ESXi Server have cron job available?

None of the scenarios provided will work and we were needing to move the logs from the ESXi server to the RHEL logging server.

thanks

0 Kudos