VMware Cloud Community
nmelucci
Contributor
Contributor

How to send console commands to a VM running in ESXi 6.7 without using VNC

Since VNC is not supported in ESXi 7.0, I'd like to try another method of sending console commands (to ensure our infrastructure code will still work after an upgrade to 7.0). I have an ubuntu VM with a user name, no IP address, and no password (running on a vmware ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 14320388) host - not connected to a vSphere server) that I'd like to send console commands to (in order to configure it). My research hasn't yielded any clear solutions for this. Is it possible to send console commands without VNC (preferably with python)? If so, what do I need to do (e.g, connect to vSphere and use an API over there or maybe use a websocket to connect to the ESXi host and then send console commands to the guest VM)? Any guidance is much appreciated! (I've been spinning my wheels for 2 days now.)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nmelucci
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much, lamw.  I saw your implementation using powershell and dismissed it because all our machines are linux, but after your response here, I looked into installing powershell on ubuntu and it worked...so thanks very much!

0 Kudos