VMware Cloud Community
mocunhuai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to replace vcenter database

I want to change the vcenter database,

There was a problem with the original database(one vm),so I built a new database virtual machine(another vm).

The vcenter version is vcenter 6.0.0 3634793

The database version is mssql server 2012 sp1.

I have backed up the old database to the new database,I do not know how to replace the database。

Who can give me some advice ,many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I encountered the same issue when a fellow guy was cleaning disk space on vcenter database server, during window's component cleanup he executed some commands which causes OS not booting. I followed below steps and it worked well.

First make sure you have valid backup of database. You need to stop vCenter services > Restore DB > Create ODBC connections > Start services.

This will include following steps:

1. Stop vCenter Services

2. Export SQL Agent roll up jobs

3. Perform a database backup

4. Copy database to the new DB Server

5. Restore database on new server

6. Import SQL Agent roll up jobs

7. Update the vcdb.properties file

8. Update the ODBC connections

9. Start the Services

For each step details, please follow the link How to migrate a vCenter Server database to a new server

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Do you want to migrate to higher version of MSSQL or to replace with Embedded PostgreSQL or Oracle. In case of cross platform db migration, I am not sure. But you can do upgrade on MSSQL part.

0 Kudos
mocunhuai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I want to migrate to the same version of MSSQL.

thank you.

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Migrating the vCenter Server database from SQL Express to full SQL Server (1028601) | VMware KB

This will support all versions of SQL Server. Let me know it works for you

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I encountered the same issue when a fellow guy was cleaning disk space on vcenter database server, during window's component cleanup he executed some commands which causes OS not booting. I followed below steps and it worked well.

First make sure you have valid backup of database. You need to stop vCenter services > Restore DB > Create ODBC connections > Start services.

This will include following steps:

1. Stop vCenter Services

2. Export SQL Agent roll up jobs

3. Perform a database backup

4. Copy database to the new DB Server

5. Restore database on new server

6. Import SQL Agent roll up jobs

7. Update the vcdb.properties file

8. Update the ODBC connections

9. Start the Services

For each step details, please follow the link How to migrate a vCenter Server database to a new server

mocunhuai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do as the steps.But the service vpxd(VMware VirtualCenter Server) can not start.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

At first attempt it wont start, you have to restart vCenter server and then check if it works.

If still it doesn't working, make sure vCenter is able to reach DB/DB server, check the database DSN settings, credential. Check if ODBC DSN connection is successful from vCenter.

0 Kudos