VMware Cloud Community
saurabhheda
Contributor
Contributor

How to move Management Network from NSX vDS to Standard Switch

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to move VM Network and Management Network from NSX VDS to vSwitch. Problem is i only have one vmnic or uplinkwhich is connected to NSX VDS as of now.

Can i simply remove this uplink from VDS and attach it to vSwitch?

esxcfg-vswitch -Q vmnic -V dvPort_ID_of_vmnic dvSwitch

esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name=vmnic --vswitch-name=vSwitch

Or is there any better way to achieve the above task? I am using ESXi 6.0 & vCenter Server 6.5

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Saurabh

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sushilkm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We did some thing similar due to a issue with L2 bridge on NSX but we moved it to Distributed pot groups instead of standard switch.  Just edit the VM properties, choose the corresponding port group and it will work as usual.

Ensure that respective VLAN is allowed on trunk port.

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Noting that with NSX vmkernel ports for vmotion, management, storage, etc work on a standard switch, even Edge gateways can connect to standard switch port groups.

But for NSX you need at least one DVS to create your transport zone on, and to send layer 2 traffic over layer 3.

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
saurabhheda
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking to move Management network and not VM network.

-Saurabh

0 Kudos
saurabhheda
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is a Test environment and we are just testing NSX as of now, and we are planning to reconfigure NSX from scratch and that is the reason i want to move everything to standard Switch.

My steps are correct?

Thanks,

Saurabh

0 Kudos