insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to move ESXI ost from one vCenter to Another

Guys.

I have one vCenter 6.5 up and running and now I setup another Center.6.5

I want to move 4 ESXI hosts from Vcenter 1 to Vcenter 2

I know I need to Disconnect the ESXI host from vCenter 1 and then remove from inventory

Then on vCenter 2 add the host.

My question Can I do this with the VM;s up and running?

All VM's are installed on Shared NSF storage which All ESXI hosts have Mounted.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, that's no problem. Just ensure those hosts aren't participating in a vDS and you're fine. Do keep in mind, however, when you swing those hosts over to the other vCenter, any monitoring, backup, etc applications that talked through vCenter will have to be re-configured.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, that's no problem. Just ensure those hosts aren't participating in a vDS and you're fine. Do keep in mind, however, when you swing those hosts over to the other vCenter, any monitoring, backup, etc applications that talked through vCenter will have to be re-configured.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well,

for disconnecting/removing Host from Inventory you need to place them  into MM first. So thats not the solution if no downtime are a requirement.

- You can simply shutdown the old vCenter[1]

- Add the running Hosts to the new one

- Reconfigure 3rd. Party stuff like Backup

[1] If there is a vDS into the game you can export the configuration and import it into new vCenter. But thats not what i prefer.

If all Hosts within the new vCenter i always place one after another into MM and remove them from Inventory and add them again. With this i can sure that the Remove clean up all stuff within the ESXi. I have seen earlier that without that all Stats are not working anymore because the stats where send to the old vCenter. But that was with older ESX Versions and with vCenter on Windows.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for disconnecting/removing Host from Inventory you need to place them  into MM first. So thats not the solution if no downtime are a requirement.

That isn't true, IRIX201110141​. An ESXi host can be removed from inventory without placing it into maintenance mode or shutting down VMs.

[1] If there is a vDS into the game you can export the configuration and import it into new vCenter.

You can, but if they're connected to that vDS you must still disjoin them first. vCenter will not permit removal of hosts from inventory that have vDS membership.

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks guys

I moved the first of 4 hosts today and other than taking a little time It moved with any disruption.  All VMS remained up and running.

Just waiting for backups to finish so I can move the rest.

Thanks again for all the help

0 Kudos