VMware Cloud Community
uming
Contributor
Contributor

How to migration Vcenter 5.1 MSSQL database to oracle 11g

Recently my boss want me to do some research for vcenter5.1 database migration from mssql to oracle.So i found the reference from google these days,but nothing help for me.If anyone success to do this,any guide for this.Help!!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
uming
Contributor
Contributor

Anyway,I just do the migration use sqldevelop,but when I fail to connect the vcenter,and checked it found 'vmware virtualcenter server' can't start noraml.

I tried two ways to do it.

1.Fresh install,point to oracle database,and migration mssql to oracle

2.Fresh install point to exist database that had already migration mssql to oracle.

All failure.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There might be many 3rd party tools for migrating sql db to oracle but when it comes to vCenter database, the application wont work. Recommend to reinstall vCenter pointing to a freash instance of Oracle DB and then add hosts to new vCenter. This will avoid lot of time. The data loss that might occur would be the performance stats table, since the data associated with the host is automatically updated in the vcdb once added to vCenter.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Post the migration, if you changed the odbc dsn to point to Oracle DB(without upgrading/using a fresh install of VC) did it work?

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

You can also take a look at this thread: (It does the migration other way around: Oracle to SQL).. but going via the route Aakash suggested is recommended.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/450183

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
uming
Contributor
Contributor

Yes,fresh install VC is OK

0 Kudos
uming
Contributor
Contributor

Negative,vcenter used distributed switch configuration

0 Kudos