VMware Cloud Community
UseVC
Contributor
Contributor

How to make VCenter skip assigning scsi 0:7 to the new LUN while using Webservices call

Hello Experts,

I use BMC Atrium Orchestrator to automate adding an hard disk to a VM.

The VCenter Version is 5.1.0

A simple webservices call is issued to the VCenter to add the hard disk, most of the times it has succeeded but recently there is a failure with error message,

"Unable to configure virtual device scsi 0:7 whose type is scsi-hardDisk. This virtual device is assigned a SCSI ID which is reserved for the virtual SCSI adapter. Move the virtual device to an unused SCSI ID and try again"

I understand that the scsi id 0:7 is reserved by HBA so has to be skipped , but in this case the web service call does not have an option on specifying the SCSI ID. That bit is left to the VC to assign.

As some testing, I tried do do all this manually from the VCenter Client , and there I see that the SCSI 0:7 does not appear in the list at all, which seems to be correct.

I looked at the vpxd.log and it has no useful information, I just see the system receive the web service call (I can see the login) and then the error after a few millisecs.

So the VCenter knows that SCSI X:7 has to be skipped but seems like that the same does not happen when using a webservice call.

I have attached the log snippets of the call as well as response and the VC screenshot as well

Please let me know how to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Shirish

0 Kudos
0 Replies