VMware Cloud Community
timoken
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to gracefully shutdown a guest vm via vcenter api if vmware tools are not installed?

I am using Vcenter's REST api to remotely shutdown all installed guest vms. To do this I use this call: REST API - shutdown

Example call:

POST https://{server}/rest/vcenter/vm/{vm}/guest/power?action=shutdown

This works really well but only for those guest vms which have vmware tools installed. Unfortunately, there are a couple of vm installations which operating system is not supported by vmware tools, therefore it cannot me installed.

Question:

Is there any way to trigger a graceful shutdown remotely by sending a (service) call to vcenter even if the guest vm doesn't have the tools installed? (Doesn't have to be REST – Can also be anything else like SNMP)

Thanks,

Timo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, not to my knowledge. The only way to execute a graceful shutdown in those situations is through an in-guest script or command that you call via an SSH session. But, honestly though, what appliances are out there which don't support VMware Tools in 2019? Even if they don't support tar tools, do they support open-vm-tools?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, not to my knowledge. The only way to execute a graceful shutdown in those situations is through an in-guest script or command that you call via an SSH session. But, honestly though, what appliances are out there which don't support VMware Tools in 2019? Even if they don't support tar tools, do they support open-vm-tools?

0 Kudos
timoken
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey, thanks a lot for your quick reply! We'll try to look into open-vm-tools and maybe the ssh solution as a fallback. It might raise an security issue but better than nothing.

0 Kudos