VMware Cloud Community
Sanithsadananda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to copy vmdk file from datastore to another machine

Hi i have 8 hosts and one ibm storage v3700 and morethan 55 vms in our infra , now i want to take vmdk file of one vm to external usb, I hv powered off that vm and entered that corresponding datastore but when I download the vmdk its showing operation is failed. anyone hv solution plz help me...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How are you trying to download the .vmdk file(s)? Using the datastore browser? Remember that in case it's a thin provisioned virtual disk, it will inflate to the full provisioned size when downloading, and the target file system (on the USB disk) needs to be able to store large files (e.g. NTFS formatted file system).

André

0 Kudos
Sanithsadananda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

yes i m downloading through datastore browser and destination is formated with ntfs file system.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming you do have sufficient free disk space, are you able to download the .vmdk file(s) to the local (internal) disk?

André

0 Kudos
Sanithsadananda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andre,

Now its in progress , if its succeeded i will get back you after some hours . Anyway thanks for your suggestion .

0 Kudos
Sanithsadananda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andre ,

It has been done . Thanks for your comment . Actually prb was vmdk was 100gb thin provisioned and destination had only 98 gb . I think only vmdk file size us enough for copying . Actually vmdk was 36gb.

0 Kudos