VMware Cloud Community
Leica
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to copy a whole folder to a Datastore?

Hi,

I am using the new Web Client to access my vCenter Server.

I see a way to upload an individual file to a datastore, but not a whole folder. With the traditional (C#?) client when you click on upload files you see two options to upload a file or a whole folder. With the folder option, the whole folder is copied.

Is there a similar way to do it in the vSphere Web Client? I can't find it!

I have a folder with many files and it is very cumbersome to do then all one by one!

Thanks.

6 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

there is no option in vSphere web client to upload the folders. An alternative may be zip the folder and upload to the datastore and get it unzipped using unziop from CLI. Its cumborsome.

We use Veeam FastSCP for copying files to ESXi datastores. Its faster than any other copying approach including vSphere c# client. Its fast because there is no encryption happens during file copying. Its a free product, its downloadable at following link.

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html

Leica
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of other ways to copy to the datastore, including using the old client and WinSCP. I wanted to know how to do it via the web client which I am really liking so far.

It seems that there is no way. It's a shame that they left this feature out Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

yeah, we miss some features in web client. As you can see, Web client is at its infant stage. It will take time to be matured like vSphere Client.

You can open a feature request with VMware to get this feature included in next release.

http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/feature.html

0 Kudos
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hitting this thread as I cam across it in a google search.

your best option to upload an entire folder is to use a program like FileZilla. 

Within VMware, enable SSH than connect to the host using an SFTP program (FileZilla).  Change directory to /vmfs/volumes/<Data store>.  Drag and drop and your good to go.

0 Kudos
HMIBarryLSalter
Contributor
Contributor

***Update!!!   (DON'T use the web based file upload-er..  it's crap!)  See my update at the bottom.

orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Barry,

Always great to know my advise helped you in moving files to your host!

I like FileZilla in that it will show you how many files are left to be moved and the % in which the file is being moved to the host.

0 Kudos