Tracyp
Contributor
Contributor

How to cleanly remove hosts etc from a vcentre ready for reinstall

Happy New Year all. Smiley Happy

My install of vcentre 6 has developed a weird postgres DB problem. VM supports suggestion was (finally) to reinstall vcentre.

I want to do a complete re-do, deleting the VM (MS server 2012) and starting from scratch.

I need to know how to properly remove the hosts and datastores from the current vcentre otherwise when I do a new vcentre and try to add the hosts etc I will get all sorts of problems saying that the host is part of another vcentre.

I suppose what I am wanting to do is "de-register" everything before deleting my current VM.

What are the steps to doing this?

thanks

Tracy

1 Reply
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Removing a host from vCenter is pretty straightforward

1. Right click the host and select disconnect

2. Once the host is disconnected from vCenter, right click the host and select remove.

However, if you have dv switches in the environment the process would be a bit different.

The datastore is associated with the hosts. Since the hosts will be removed from vc the datastore details will be removed automatically.

Also, you can use the below Kb as a reference for pre requisites.

VMware KB: Moving a managed ESXi/ESX host from one vCenter Server to another vCenter Server

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Don't Backup. Go Forward! Rubrik Peek into my Website: http://www.virtuallypeculiar.com