VMware Cloud Community
shdwlynx
Contributor
Contributor

How to access VCSA shell with SSO account

To restate the title of this discussion:

How can you use the VCSA shell with an SSO (non-local) account?

Another way I could phrase it:

What is the point of accessing the VCSA shell with an SSO account if these accounts don't have any rights to run any commands after logging in?

Obviously, when accessing the VCSA shell with root, you have all the rights in the world, since the local root account is assigned the superAdmins role.  It's not best practice to use (or share!) the root account; unique user accounts should be used except in case of dire emergencies.  So, I can add new local accounts and assign them to the superAdmins role and they have all the access I might need, which is great, except that it defeats the purpose of having SSO accounts.  You need one to login to the web client and another one to login via SSH.  Why?

To clarify, although my SSO user account (something like abc@vsphere.local) is a member of every conceivable group (Administrators, SystemConfiguration.Administrators, SystemConfiguration.BashShellAdministrators, etc.), and that user can successfully login via SSH to the Appliance Shell, every command results in an error message.  And yes, I've enabled the Bash shell before trying.

Command> shell

Unable to authorize

User 'abc@vsphere.local' is not authorized to run this command

Command> shell.get

Unknown command: `shell.get'

Command> help api list

Session expired.

Someone please tell me I'm missing something and that it's possible to use SSO accounts to access and run commands via the VCSA Appliance and Bash shells.  I am very much looking forward to being wrong!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ITaaP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just curious. What kind of commands are you trying to run? The only time I SSH into VCSA is for troubleshooting and luckily that isn't very often. Except for today.

https://tactsol.com https://vmware.solutions
0 Kudos
shdwlynx
Contributor
Contributor

I included a list above, but it is any command at all; the error varies based on the type of command entered (see above.)

Perhaps relevant, when I login with any SSO account, I get the following errors:

Could not chdir to home directory /var/lib/nobody: No such file or directory

Error connecting to the server

0 Kudos