VMware Cloud Community
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How to access Qnap NFS share?

Hi,  I cant connect to Qnap NFS share. What is right folder synthax? And do vmware at all uses guest account?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also, Qnap was unable to listen service in second nic, set with VLAN5. Altough in service binding it was allowed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is how you will provide share name or mount point for NFS :

pastedImage_0.png

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What picture this is? It seems old standalone client. As I know vCenter 6.7 dont support anymore old standalone client. But yes, I use /share/folder synthax, but cant connect.

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

But from windows computer I can access this NFS share. Seems ESXi uses "root" account for accessing Qnap NFS. But in Qnap there cant be such user, as its disabled for regular use.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The screenshot is from Set up a VMware ESXi Datastore via NFS in QNAP Enterprise Storage - QNAP which also describe how to use the WebClient. I normaly use the command line because it gives better feedback.

Normaly i would say the the "no_root_squash" option missing which prevents that someone as user root with UserID 0 can use the share. But the article on qnap.com doesnt mentioned it. Maybe they hide it under one of the options like "Access all".

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This Qnap help is just bulshit. NFS host acces is not enough, cant still access, I think username and password is still required. And ESXi uses always its own root account and ESXi root password. But in Qnap root account is disabled. Also, I dont know where Qnap takes those pictures, as my Qnap manager windows looks completely different look, altough the same functionality. Also this is not VMWare web client at all. I used this standalone installable client years ago. I think this help is archaic. In my Qnap there is "no_root_squash", but this dont help. Its only for root account, to lower remote root privileges in local Qnap NAS, but first root must login, but root cant login because in Qnap there is no root.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I cant speak for NFS 4.1 or so but in Vers.3 and in the last 20 years you never need a password and NFS has poor protection and ACL only based on a username and client IP. The NFS Server took the given Username and mapps it to a local UserID. This was forbidden for UserID 0 which is used for the "root" and thats why there is the no_root_squash option. It doesnt matter if your QNAP allows login as root or not.

If you have questions about the article why not als QNAP for help? Iam pretty sure that i have seen people using QNAP NFS for ESXi Datastores... so its in Smiley Happy

We often use a Linux VM with CIFS and NFS because customers can store the ISO from there Windows PC and ESXi can access them trough NFS.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Qnap help I already informed, but first they are very slow and second they usually dont know.  You seen those people? I want also to see. In vSphere, for ISO files you can use content libraries, its also shared, by nature.

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I find out the problem -  Managed switch DDoS blocks NFS connection, the protection option was "SYN sPort less 1024" . First time I needed to disable it.

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also, Qnap was unable to listen service in second nic, set with VLAN5. Altough in service binding it was allowed.

0 Kudos