VMware Cloud Community
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to Move ESXI Hosts from one vCenter to another vCenter on 6.5

I had to rebuild my vcsa application today due to a SSO issue.

I now need to move the ESXI hosts from my original vcsa application 6.5 to my new vcsa appliance 6.5

Do I go to Global Inventory Lists?

I see Disconnect option is that first

Then do a remove from inventory?

I found this How to move ESXi/ESX host from one vCenter Server to another

Wondering if it applies to 6.5

I am not using DRS

If I do the above my ESXI hosts will remain up and running correct?

Reason I ask is because I selected remove from inventory from the Hosts & Cluster display and it wanted me to place the ESWXI host in maint mode first.

Maint mode shutsdown all the VM's correct?

Thank you

Tom

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just disconnect each host from vCenter then add/connect to your fixed/new vCenter. Since the source vCenter is going away (I presume), there's no need to remove from inventory. Once you add the ESXi hosts to the inventory of the new/fixed vCenter, you can reconfigure your VBR backup and replication jobs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just disconnect each host from vCenter then add/connect to your fixed/new vCenter. Since the source vCenter is going away (I presume), there's no need to remove from inventory. Once you add the ESXi hosts to the inventory of the new/fixed vCenter, you can reconfigure your VBR backup and replication jobs.

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

great

waiting for backup cycle to complete

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

All moved and working

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you'd rather not let Veeam take a full backup and new replication again, use this KB to repoint the jobs and replicas to the VMs on your new vCSA.