VMware Cloud Community
wojbaj
Contributor
Contributor

How to Edit Settings on virtual vCenter running vmx-10?

Hi,

Recently I setup whole new vSphere 5.5 environment on several physical servers and then deployed virtual vCenter 5.5.

Unfortunately I made a mistake and upgraded virtual HW to vmx-10 on vCenter.

Now the problem is: how to Edit Settings on that virtual vCenter in order to add memory or CPU? (yes, HotAdd is disabled)

I'm not asking how to mount ISO or add HDD as this is straightforward but I'm interested in changing configuration via required web client when web server is down? Smiley Happy

Help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Wojtek

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/458054

This is being discussed at the above link and the KB that should help is VMware KB: Downgrading the virtual machine hardware version

0 Kudos
wojbaj
Contributor
Contributor

I saw that discussion, but VM conversion to vmx-8/9 is not a solution.

0 Kudos
Craig_G2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Wojbaj,

If I am reading your question right, you can use PowerCLI.

For Example, to change the memory assigned to a VM:

#Connect to your esxi host

Connect-VIServer host.yourdomain.com

#Change these:

$Name = "yourVM"

$MemoryMB = 2048

#Check if VM is powered on

$vm = Get-VM -Name yourVM

if ($vm.PowerState -eq "PoweredOn")

{

$vm | Shutdown-VMGuest -Confirm:$false | Out-Null
     }

#Set memory for vm

$vm | Set-VM -MemoryMB  $MemoryMB

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
wojbaj
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion, however the problem is that I would like to change Memory/CPU on vCenter server.

In your example script, the PowerCLI commands are sent via vCenter, am I right?

It was straightforward in VM HW versions < vmx-10 where I was able to change the settings via "standard" client.

Best Regards,

Wojtek

0 Kudos
Craig_G2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can connect to the host that your vCenter server is running on Smiley Happy

For Example, If you run a 4 node cluster and your vCenter server is running on esxi host 1.. Connect-VIServer esxi01.yourdomain.com and enter the local esxi creds for that host.

Here is the Set-VM reference page Set-VM - vSphere PowerCLI Cmdlets Reference

Let me know how you get on.

0 Kudos
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

eatVM is correct you can use PowerCLI to connect directly to the host your vcenter is on to edit the settings.  Here is the actual KB showing this.

VMware KB: Editing virtual machine settings fails with the error: You cannot use the vSphere client ...

You can also do it using the most recent VMware workstation to manage it temporarily but honestly PowerCli is easiest and free if you don't have workstation.

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First, right-click to launch the FastSCP Editor on a .VMX file (or any text file on an NFS or VMFS datastore)

2. Once the Edit option is selected, the FastSCP Editor will open the editor directly from the datastore. This means that there is no need to copy it down, open it within Notepad or your favorite editor and then copy it back.

3. Begin editing!

Should you have a favorite editor, (and that’s fine, if you do!) you can do keyboard shortcuts for select all (CTRL+A), copy (CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) to move the .VMX files back and forth to your preferred text editor or from a website with a value you need.

Easily edit .VMX file with Veeam Backup Free Edition

0 Kudos
Snip3r6659w
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much,  I never even thought about connecting through workstation 10!

That was quick and painless.

0 Kudos
warring
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Web client

VCP510-DCV
0 Kudos
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

warring wrote:

Web client

That won't work because the web client depends on vCenter.  If you have to take vCenter down in order to edit its settings, then you can't use the web client.

0 Kudos