jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do I remove the license from a dead vCenter?

Hey all, I had a vCenter server die on me (corrupted disk, root password wouldn't work for fsck, VMware support couldn't get it to work). Now that I've created a new vCenter I'm getting a license error when I try to add a host to the new cluster:

The selected license is part of the inventory of another vCenter Server system. Assigning this license will make it part of the inventories of multiple vCenter Server systems resulting in a non-compliant licensing configuration.

To restore the compliance, remove the license from its original vCenter Server system after you complete this wizard.

How do I remove the license from the original vCenter server when that server dead? Googling this error just tells me how to remove a host from a dead vCenter and I have yet to figure out how to do an effective search on this site.

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik this is only a,legal compliance thing, reminding you that it's your responsibility to use licenses only once. Since the old system died, there's no reason why not using the licenses on the new vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos