VMware Cloud Community
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I migrate my vCenter server into the cluster I just created?

Good morning, 

I just upgraded from VMware 6.0 Essentials Plus to VMware 7.0.2 Standard. New hosts are up and running, cluster is built with EVC configured and all hosts and VMs are all in the cluster except one VM - vCenter. I can't find a way to migrate vCenter into the cluster because EVC is blocking me. I've Googled this and all I can find that even comes close is how to create a cluster. I checked YouTube and I get about the same information. I must be missing something really simple because a LOT of people are using vCenter. Can anyone point me to a white paper or a web page that will show me how to move my vCenter into the cluster? 

Thanks, 

Joe B 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> Ok, I thought that unregistering and re-registering was just removing the VM from one inventory and then adding it back in to the other inventory.

That's exactly what it does. However, if you register the vCSA on a host that is part of an EVC enabled cluster, the vCSA will then be powered on with the CPU features that are available with the configured EVC mode. And yes, the VM (the vCSA in this case) needs to be powered off for this.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do the ESXi hosts in the new EVC enabled cluster have access to the datastore on which your vCenter Server is stored?
If they do, you may shutdown the vCenter Server, unregister it from the current host, and register it on one of the new hosts. Make sure that you select "I moved it" if asked at the first power on on the new host.

André

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If VC was stored on a shared DS and if the ESXi hosts in the EVC enabled cluster have access to the DS ; then just power off VC and unregister and re-register it to one of the ESXi under the new EVC Cluster and power on.

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

As they said before, just power off and un register and re register on the new cluster.
I have a small question: which version is the vCenter? Please consider upgrading it to 7.0 u2 before migrating it. 

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I thought that unregistering and re-registering was just removing the VM from one inventory and then adding it back in to the other inventory. I decided to Google it to make sure and I found some responses that talk about using the command line. Also, some talk about powering down the VM and some don't. Today, Google is not my friend. 

Thanks,

Joe B 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> Ok, I thought that unregistering and re-registering was just removing the VM from one inventory and then adding it back in to the other inventory.

That's exactly what it does. However, if you register the vCSA on a host that is part of an EVC enabled cluster, the vCSA will then be powered on with the CPU features that are available with the configured EVC mode. And yes, the VM (the vCSA in this case) needs to be powered off for this.

André

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you a_p_, I will get to this later today. 

Thanks, 

Joe B 

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks again a_p_ - vCenter is up and running in the cluster.  

Thanks, 

Joe B 

0 Kudos