VMware Cloud Community
chrisknight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I create standard vSwitches in a HA cluster where the VM fails over to the same network?

I have a lab set up with 2 ESXi 5.5 hosts and vCenter.  I want to create a situation where each VM must have a dedicated NIC.  If I create vSwitchABC on host 1, what do I do on host 2?  Create vSwitchABC on that host too and connect it to the same physical switch?  Will that allow the host 1 to fail and the VM to come up on host 2 on that same network because the vSwitch names are the same?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Yes you will have to create a vswitch on host 2 that has a Virtual machine port group with the same name as it is on Host 1 connecting to the same subnet as connected to on host 1-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Yes you will have to create a vswitch on host 2 that has a Virtual machine port group with the same name as it is on Host 1 connecting to the same subnet as connected to on host 1-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
chrisknight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fantastic!  Thank you!  I'll test it out later. 

0 Kudos