VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

How can update VMware Tools on esxi hosts with vLCM when using single image

I have downloaded latest VMware tools vib file "VMware-Tools-12.1.5-core-offline-depot-ESXi-all-20735119.zip" and import it in vCenter by vLCM
I am using single image . after import it I have created a baseline for that with the name Tools but now there is not any option to apply it on ESXi hosts although in VUM there was an option to apply baselines on esxi hosts . What should I do now ? How can update VMware Tools on my hosts ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I interpret what is written in the documentation:

"You can manage a cluster with either baselines or images. You cannot use both at the same time for a single cluster. Even if you do not set up an image for the cluster during cluster creation, you can at any time switch from using baselines to switching images for that cluster".

I guess (and maybe I'm wrong again) you need to add the latest version of VMtools to the single image you're using.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

But As I know there are not any option to add VMware Tools to image . Actually I am not sure just guess we cannot update VMware Tools on hosts by vLCM when using single image I think the solution is just apply with esxcli . But I am not sure just guess about it

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I happened upon this thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/vLCM-Image-and-Async-VMware-Tools/td-p/2896260

Which lets me understand that you could add them as a "component", but then if you want to update ESXi and the the new image has outdated VMware tools then who knows how it ends.

I'm honest, in the context of my laboratory I tried the image-based method and abandoned it in a short time, in my vocabulary there is no such thing as having to tie a cluster to a single hardware vendor and have identical systems "up to the single screw or close to this" because of "assumed sigle image concept benefit".

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

But could not find any document to find out how can assign VMware tools as components but that is not rational solution to create a new cluster to update VMware Tools by base line and another move to single Image .

0 Kudos