VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

How can change vm network adapter port group after vcenter fail

Dear all

Hi

As our vcsa fail and vm network is connected on VDS we can not change network adapter port group

now i want to know due vds config if i set Port binding on Ephemeral-no binding is that possible change

network port group for each vm after vcenter fail

BR

Babak

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

"Ephemeral" port groups can be used even without vCenter Server up, and running.

Hint: If the Embedded Host Client doesn't show the ephemeral port groups (which I consider being a bug), you may use VMRC to reconfigure network settings for a VM.

I usually create one ephemeral port group for the vCenter Server's network, so that it is possible to fix issued with vCenter Server itself.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

So thanks

Do you suggest use ephemetal-no binding instead of static binding for all of portgroup on VDS ?

BR

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, it should not be done for all VM port groups. Only for the port group used by vCenter as a rescue.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

So thanks

but could not understand the reason for assign vcenter port group on ephemeral-no binding because if my vcenter fail and down i could not change network adapter portgroup for other vms

but you said just change port binding type for vCenter  why ?

BR

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If vCenter is down your VMs do not lose connectivity on their current port groups, so there is no need to reassign them to other port groups. What matters is getting vCenter back online, and for that you may need an ephemeral port group (or multiple) dependingdon your network.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's actually about performance, statistics, overhead, etc. why you should not use ephemeral port groups by default.

What you may do, it to create an additional ephemeral port group for each of your VLANs for disaster recovery purposes to be e.g. able to create new VMs while vCenter Server isn't available. Once it becomes available again, reconfigure the newly create VM, and attach it to a static port group.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

imagine i have a vswitch  and one vds  while my vcenter goes down i could not change my vm port group in edit setting but if i set my port binding type on ehemeral if my vcenter fail i can change vm

network from vds to vss in vm edit setting

is that correct ?

BR

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not exactly.

You can change your VM's network settings - no matter what's currently configured - to an ephemeral, or VSS port group.

André

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Also, how often is your vCenter down at the moment when you absolutely must change a VM's port group? Because if that's happening frequently, something is wrong with your environment.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

if my vcenetr goes down can i change my vm's port group from VDS to vss by connect direct to esxi host ?

if my vcenetr goes down can i change my vm's port group from VDS port group1 to VDS portgroup2 by connect direct to esxi host ?

BR

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

if my vcenetr goes down can i change my vm's port group from VDS to vss by connect direct to esxi host ?

Yes.

if my vcenetr goes down can i change my vm's port group from VDS port group1 to VDS portgroup2 by connect direct to esxi host ?

You can only change to ephemeral port groups.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

i could not understand why you say use ephemeral port binding type just for vcenter port group ?

if vcenter goes down can i change vm's port group from vss to vds ?

BR

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

i could not understand why you say use ephemeral port binding type just for vcenter port group ?

That's how I do it.

if vcenter goes down can i change vm's port group from vss to vds ?

Not unless you you have ephemeral port groups.

Please ask yourself, how often will you need to change network settings for VMs while vCenter Server is down?

In case vCenter Server is down, I 'd rather try to make it working again, rather than changing network settings for VMs.

As mentioned earlier, it's basically up to you to create ephemeral port groups for each VLAN.

André

0 Kudos