VMware Cloud Community
jmbrav0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How can I use SD unused space?

Good day,

ESX Hardware: Lenovo_x3650-M5

I have a RAID 1 with two SD cards (32 GB each one ). In the installation of the ESXi I used the following command (IMM CLI) where I only allocated 2GB to the system ESXi in both cards (Lenovo best practices)

system> sdraid -create -driveName Hypervisor -sizeMB 2000 -target mirror -removable 1 -owner system -systemReadOnly 0 -LUN 0

However, I would like to use the 29 GB remaining for Iso's, Logs or whatever. But I can't access to this free space or just create a volume that can be accessible by the vCenter.

Regards, JM
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

It may not be a good idea to use ESXi SD card for some other usages.

As you have created only one Virtual raid disk for ESXi Installation, try to create one more raid disk with remaining space. ( if it allows )

Then PowerOn the esxi, it should show you disk with 29 GB space.

As said, such configuration is not recommended. Use SD card or Flash drive dedicatedly for ESXi installation.

-

Haridas

vPRH » Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
jmbrav0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Thank you for your response.

Finally, we used the same command but giving more space for the RAID. Logs will be saved on the local storage and now there isn't spaces problems.

However, my question is how can I use or mount the remaining space, it has not sense that you have a 32GB SD Card and you only use 2 GB RAID1, what happens with the other remaining space? But I think this question it should be answered by IBM or Lenovo.

Thanks anyway!

Regards, JM
0 Kudos