VMware Cloud Community
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host won't go into Maintenance Mode

Hi all, I'm running 5.5 I believe and was going to do some regular patching.  I moved all my vms off onto other hosts in cluster and was going to put the host into Maintenance mode before checking for patches.  When I do this, it simply says it is starting the task never never finishes.  I found this article:  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100241...  which isn't really what was going on but was fairly similar so I stopped and restarted the the vcenter server service and re-entered the web client.  When I did this, the task was no longer "starting", it had just gone away.  I tried a second time with the same results.  I don't think it's a time issue, so I'm not sure which way to go, since i usually just works.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried restarting the management services on the host having the issue?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100349...

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

joshopper,

I have not - It looks like this requires me to plug into it and do this via console, correct?  I guess there wouldn't be any harm in doing it, all the VM's are already moved onto other hosts.

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can plug in through the console or you can Putty to the Host depending on how you have setup the security but you can enable SSH to the host and do it remotely.

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, I didn't do the initial setup, but it looks like ssh isn't enabled on it, so likely it will have to be thru console.

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This shouldn't have any affect on the cluster, should it? Just that one host?

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It has no effect on the cluster it is just the service that allows that individual host to communicate with vCenter.

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the assurance 🙂  I'll see if I can get i can get in there to do it by console and will report back.

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, restarting the management agent didn't work.  I consoled in and the restart went fine, but the task to put into Maintenance mode just stuck at "Starting Task".  I mean, other than this, i don't seem to have any issues connecting from the web client to the host, so I'm not sure what is going on.  Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay, problem solved (kind of?).  I went thru the old vsphere client (which I should have tried before) and it went right in to maintenance mode.  So the only thing that is hanging up is the web client.  No idea what is going on there. Maybe not time to completely get rid of the old client, eh?

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Right we should have started at the beginning - Do not use the web client unless there is something specific the VI Client cannot do! =P

I hate the web client with the fire of a thousand suns.... Glad you got things moving along.

0 Kudos
jwoodmls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I appreciate it a lot!  Unfortunately, I've run into another problem (which is crazy, I've done this a few times before and never had problems.  I staged the host then started to remediate.  It finally timed out and this is what I got: "vmware vsphere update manager timed out waiting for host to reconnect after reboot.  to ensure complete installation, reconnect the host, exit maintenance mode..."

The thing is, I can connect directly to that host with the vsphere client (and take it out of maintenance mode).  I took it out of maintenance mode then back where i was on vcenter server i tried to reconnect but it said it wasn't responding and said something about the management service may not be responding.  So...do I console in and do the same thing I did yesterday?

0 Kudos