VMware Cloud Community
lulu62
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host profiles and storage configuration. Setting is not applied to host but host is compliant.

Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of help here.

We have 6.7 ESXi hosts and a 6.7 vCenter and we have a Kaminario storage array.

As with lots of SSD storage array vendors, we need to apply optimization settings on our ESXi hosts.

Kaminario provided us with powercli scripts to apply these optimization settings and validate them.

We applied the settings on one host and updated the host profile with the new settings.

I can see the new storage settings in the host profile. In particular the Max outstanding IOs value in Storage configuration > Pluggable Storage Architecture (PSA) configuration > PSA device configuration > eui.00...05. It is set to 32 which is the recommended value.

We then applied the updated host profile to the remaining hosts.

All hosts have now a compliant status in vCenter.

However this is not true. When running the validation script of Kaminario I can still see hosts with a Max outstanding IOs value set to 30 or 19 or another number. And these hosts still claim to be compliant with the host profile which has a Max outstanding IOs value set to 32.

I took a look at the piece of powercli code in the Kaminario validation script that checks Max outstanding IOs and ran it manually, it still returns the wrong value (30 or 19).

I struggling to understand:

1. Why does the host profile not apply the setting to the host (Max outstanding IOs of 32).
  2. Why does the host say it's compliant although it's not.

############

image1.png

############

image2.png

############

image3.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Have you rebooted the host? If not please reboot one host and check it.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
lulu62
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I rebooted the host and the host has now the correct Max outstanding IOs value.

Since the host has rebooted, I have done a few tests:

Setting the Max outstanding IOs to a lower value (30) and check host profile = profile not compliant

Applying host profile with Max outstanding IOs value of 32 = Max outstanding IOs on host changes to 32.

So it looks like since the reboot, host profile is working again when making changes on the fly.

Any idea why it wasn't working before the reboot?

The uptime of the host before the reboot was 80 days.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Great. Before it was not working because you not rebooted the host. this type of setting need reboot to take effect.

please mark correct or helpful if your issue is resolved.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos