VMware Cloud Community
czql5v1
Contributor
Contributor

Host Vmotion

Hi All,

I did not setup our current system and I am not to familiar with vSphere Networking side. 

We have VMware vSphere 6 Essentials Plus. We have 4 hosts. Three of these hosts live in our main office and the other host lives on our site satellite site 1 mile away.

I desperately need to migrate via vMotion all the machines on the satellite site., however, once I chose the vmotion option I can only see the host that the machine I chose is on. I do not see the Hosts on our main site.

Can someone please help, this is needed as a matter of urgency and I cant figure out why this is happening.

Any help or guidance would be very greatfully accepted.

Regards.

VMware vSphere 6 Essentials Plus

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MerlevedeN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I thin your vm's are on local storage. So you have to do a storage vMotion.

You can only do a host vMotion is the storage is available on all the hosts.

You also need to be shure the vMotion vlan is also available on the satelite host.

maksym007
Expert
Expert

What about storage? 

Storage should be connected to 3 ESXi hosts in the Cluster + in the Branch Office

After that it should be visible

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you have a vCenter Server managing all the hosts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert

Few things need to check for vMotion:

1. All the host must be managed via vCenter.

2. All host must be reachable to each other and see if ports are open between them like 443, 8000 etc.

3. All host must have vMotion interface or vMotion must be enabled on VMkernal port.

Regards,

Sachchidanand

0 Kudos
markey165
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@czql5v1  Are you certain the license is vSphere 6 Essentials Plus, as that product only supports 3 ESXi hosts (see the extract below), so i'm not sure how you are doing this? Perhaps you have the 4th host in vCenter but the vMotion feature is disabled due to the host limit restriction. I'm not entirely sure how it implements the limit, but this could be why you're having a problem.

markey165_0-1691503690539.png

In which case you could disconnect one of the main office hosts temporarily, so you are back to 3 hosts, and hopefully the vMotion feature will become enabled. This of course depends on many other factors, including how your storage is configured, where the storage is, networking configuration, and the speed of your connection between sites.

Worse case scenario, download them from the satellite host (via datastore browser) onto an external drive, then re-import them into the main office site!