VMware Cloud Community
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host Query Windows vCenter 6.0 Migration to VCSA 6.7

Hello All

We are planning to migrate our Windows 6.0 vCenter to the VCSA 6.7.

I have read several blog posts outlining the 2 phase migration process.

Our Scenario

We have created an additional test vcenter server, which we will attach a database copy of our original vcenter database.

This test vcenter will be used for the 2 phase migration process, as we want to keep our current production vcenter running, as we cannot afford downtime.

Once we are ready we want to make the newly created VCSA 6.7 our production vCenter.

My query (apologies if its silly) once the migration wizard completes migrating configuration and historical data.

Is it just a case us, disconnecting the ESXi hosts from the old vCenter and then adding them to the new 6.7 vCenter?

From what i have gathered, the data migration process creates an identical copy of our environment onto the 6.7 VCSA.

Also if a hosts has additional VM's to what was migrated during the migration process and showing in the vcenter inventory, will that have any impact?

Kind Regards

Jitla

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

You want to use the migration tool or not? The migration tool will take care of everything, creating the new vCSA,moving all the date and turning off the old vCenter.

0 Kudos
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes we want to use the migration tool, but at that same time we want to minimise the downtime.

Especially as the database shrink process will take around 12 hours to complete.

That is why we want to use the migration tool to create a parallel vCenter, whilst our original vcenter continues to run.

We will then manually migrate the hosts over into the new vcenter.

I appreciate this is not ideal, but we are unable to find any upto date scripts which allow us to migrate to a new vcenter manually,

0 Kudos