VMware Cloud Community
bsd1977jda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host Profiles in vSphere 6 - Maintenance Mode Requirements

I've been tasked with checking out Host Profiles on vSphere 6.  The main reason we're not using them in our v5.5 environment is because whenever you apply the host profile to a host to perform a remediation, no matter how insignificant the change, it requires the host to be in maintenance mode.  That poses an administrative challenge in my environment.

So, I was stoked to read that vSphere 6 had updated Host Profiles to only require maintenance mode if the properties being set by the specified Host Profile require it.  I'm thinking OK, now trivial changes like adding a port group to a vSwitch won't require the host to be in maintenance mode when trying to 'remediate' the host with a host profile that makes that type of low level change.  Unfortunately though, I'm still getting the error "A host needs to be in maintenance mode before a host profile can be applied to it" whenever I try to apply a host profile to a host that is out of compliance, no matter how minuscule the change. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  Do I have something configured incorrectly?

vSphere 6: Updates to Host Profiles - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bsd1977jda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK I figured it out.  This new functionality for Host Profiles does exist but it only exists in the vSphere Web Client.  The vSphere C# Client has not been updated to behave this way, it still requires a host to be in maintenance mode for any and all remediations.

Time to start using the web client more.  =S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ggautam7741
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Agree, host is mandatory be in maintenance mode before applying it to a profile.

0 Kudos
bsd1977jda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK I figured it out.  This new functionality for Host Profiles does exist but it only exists in the vSphere Web Client.  The vSphere C# Client has not been updated to behave this way, it still requires a host to be in maintenance mode for any and all remediations.

Time to start using the web client more.  =S

0 Kudos