vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Host Profiles in vSphere 6 - Maintenance Mode Requirements

Posted Aug 25, 2015 07:52 PM

I've been tasked with checking out Host Profiles on vSphere 6.  The main reason we're not using them in our v5.5 environment is because whenever you apply the host profile to a host to perform a remediation, no matter how insignificant the change, it requires the host to be in maintenance mode.  That poses an administrative challenge in my environment.

So, I was stoked to read that vSphere 6 had updated Host Profiles to only require maintenance mode if the properties being set by the specified Host Profile require it.  I'm thinking OK, now trivial changes like adding a port group to a vSwitch won't require the host to be in maintenance mode when trying to 'remediate' the host with a host profile that makes that type of low level change.  Unfortunately though, I'm still getting the error "A host needs to be in maintenance mode before a host profile can be applied to it" whenever I try to apply a host profile to a host that is out of compliance, no matter how minuscule the change. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  Do I have something configured incorrectly?

vSphere 6: Updates to Host Profiles - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

• 2.  RE: Host Profiles in vSphere 6 - Maintenance Mode Requirements

Posted Aug 26, 2015 04:32 AM

Agree, host is mandatory be in maintenance mode before applying it to a profile.

• 3.  RE: Host Profiles in vSphere 6 - Maintenance Mode Requirements
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2015 02:57 PM

OK I figured it out.  This new functionality for Host Profiles does exist but it only exists in the vSphere Web Client.  The vSphere C# Client has not been updated to behave this way, it still requires a host to be in maintenance mode for any and all remediations.

Time to start using the web client more.  =S