VMware Cloud Community
UNIX_ADMINS
Contributor
Contributor

Host Memory Usage

Could anyone tell me where I can get a more detailed look at the warning error "host memory usage". I'm not 100% why this error goes away and comes back, and poking around I cannot find a way to give me a more detailed report of what exactly is going on.

Any help would be appreciated!

5 Replies
Swatisingh88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you please check if vSphere alarms for virtual machines are set? Default vSphere alarms are set on the vCenter Server level and propagated to all child objects in the inventory. Its possible that frequently alarms are being triggered and goes away.

VMware KB: Virtual machine memory usage alarm

0 Kudos
UNIX_ADMINS
Contributor
Contributor

Individual alarms are set, thanks for the KB article

0 Kudos
SARAVANAN_O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please check below details

• Verify that VMware Tools is installed on each virtual machine. The balloon driver is installed with VMware Tools and is critical to performance.
  • Verify that the balloon driver is enabled. The VMkernel regularly reclaims unused virtual machine memory by ballooning and swapping. Generally, this does not impact virtual machine performance.
  • Reduce the memory space on the virtual machine, and correct the cache size if it is too large. This frees up memory for other virtual machines.
  • If the memory reservation of the virtual machine is set to a value much higher than its active memory, decrease the reservation setting so that the VMkernel can reclaim the idle memory for other virtual machines on the host.
  • Migrate one or more virtual machines to a host in a DRS cluster.
  • Add physical memory to the host.

Thanks

SARAVANAN_O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

refer the KB kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2057846

0 Kudos
SpoonTuxedo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you know when the alarm is generated you can go through the performance logs to help work out what VM(s) are causing the higher memory usage.

0 Kudos