VMware Cloud Community
blackraven32
Contributor
Contributor

Ho to upgrade standalone vCenter (a physical server, not ESXi nor managed to any vCenter)

Hi.

We have vSphere cluster with two ESXi hosts. All on 6.5U3 version.

Now I want to upgrade vCenter to 6.7U3 version using vCenter Server Appliance Istaller.

When I get to 'Connect to source appliance' tab in upgrade setup I get a problem.. The problem is - my vCenter host is a physical machine (not ESXi host nor VM) and I can`t see it from my vCenter panel. It never was a problem until now.

I have to put smth in 'ESXi host or vCenter Server that manages the source appliance' field but I have nothing. No vCenter servers manage my standalone phisycal server. If I put the same server name in that field I get 'Unable to find the source appliance on the specified ESXi host or vCenter Server.' error.

So is there a way to upgrade vCenter in my case?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
beow00lf
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade tool is basically deploying new VM and throwing your config inside it (then stop/disconnect your original VM).

In your case - maybe CLI upgrade would make a trick? I haven't checked it in a while TBH, but may be at least worth reading about it.

Side note: any particular reason you have vCenter on physical machine? It may be easier to deploy new vCenter (VCSA) rather than upgrading existing one (then - if HW config is same as existing hosts and you have license - adding that physical host as a new ESXi into vCenter).

0 Kudos