VMware Cloud Community
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

High CPU after upgrading VCSA 7.0 U2d to 7.0 U3c

I upgraded a 500+ VM environment to 7.0 U3c today and I would not say it went smoothly. After the upgrade, the appliance was running at 100% CPU for about 40 minutes before the vCenter Server service died and it became unmanageable. I opened a support case and, of course, it came up and acted fairly normal. Shortly after that call, the CPU shot up again. Has anyone else noticed this same behavior?

In addition to that, the install hung for about 45 minutes on "Converting data as part of post install". I have experienced that taking a while, but never 45 minutes. It did finally complete successfully. After that, I noticed the following message on the console screen: "vmdir.password is not set: aborting installation". That is a known issue and there is a KB article on how to fix it, but they could have fixed it in this release.

Since my case was opened as a sev-1, they didn't want to address the CPU utilization issue, just vCenter being down. They said I needed to open a separate case - which I find annoying since that is likely what is causing the poor performance and ultimately killing it. I have attached some images for reference.

5 Replies
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Two support cases in and no closer to resolution. Support is not what it used to be. 😞

0 Kudos
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still waiting to hear back from support to understand why, but I was able to isolate the ongoing CPU spikes to a monitoring solution. If I disable it, vCenter behaves properly. Note, the only thing that changed was the vCenter version. Performance was normal before update 3c. Did they makes changes that would have impacted our monitoring solution, the evidence points to yes but they are still investigating.

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Can you please provide the SR number? Feel free to message directly. 

3rd party solutions can cause issues even. I see postgres taking too much CPU . Its not usual unless an external API is asking for data.

What solution are you using ?

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Running into a similar issue but we came from 7.0 U3c. Were you able to make any leeway on this? I have a few ideas for my environment and trying one at a time to narrow it down. In my case, the vCenter Server service bombs out sporadically as well, approximately once a day.

0 Kudos
Florent_ba
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have the same issue.

I have kill the https session on vcenter web interface, and the huge load disappear.

The session was in logout status with a pop up. 

0 Kudos