VMware Cloud Community
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor

Having problems deploying VCSA

I'm deploying VCSA 6.5 in a lab set up on Workstation 15, and having problems. I've been using VCSA in labs on and off for a few years and I have similar problems every single time I do. I've managed to tweak things to get it working before but I'm getting nowhere this time. I've had the same problems on both Workstation (versions 14 and 15) and on ESXi

When I import the appliance I enter all the required info, but it doesn't get applied, so on initial startup I have to go through the password reset process and configure all the IP and DNS settings.

Once the VM starts up, I can't access vCentre through a browser, it just gives a 404 error. I have logged in via ssh to check the running services. When I enter the command service-control --status I just get the following error message.

Service-control failed. Error [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/vmware/db.type'

Can anyone suggest what may be going wrong?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

How long did you wait?  It will normally take a good 10 minutes for things to get applied and network settings in place. From there, you need to login to the VAMI on port 5480 to continue the setup process.

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor

I've have waited longer than that before, however I've never seen that in any of the instructions i've followed eg http://www.vmwarearena.com/how-to-deploy-vcenter-server-appliance-6-5-on-vmware-workstation-14/ . That and others I've read suggest that it should be all working once it's started up. I also can't get into it on port 5480, the only access I have is via ssh

0 Kudos
khayber
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same issue.  /var/log/firstboot/cloudvm.log showed my NTP servers were unreachable.

I corrected this and deploy worked OK.

0 Kudos