VMware Cloud Community
fugrat1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hardware monitoring on DELL R730xd

I am trying to get vCenter alarms to trigger upon certian events on a cluster made of Dell PowerEdge R730xd servers.  We did a cable pull test on Friday and no alerts were raised for a PSU being down.  When browsing the hardware status system event log I can see the Assert+ Power Supply Power Supply AC lost event, and I can also see this on the iDRAC but it is not alerting about this in vCenter.  I have seen that the DELL customized ESXi image no longer includes any CIM extensions so I tried installing the OMSA VIB but this didn't seem to make any differnece.  How can I get vCenter to see these errors?  WE are using ESXi 6.0 U2

2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Is the "host hardware power status" alarm setup to send email?  Is the alarm triggering(check tasks and events of the host)?  Are you getting any other alerts from any other alarms you've configured?

0 Kudos
kbiradar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can try restarting Hardware Health service in vcenter.

Here is KB article for same

VMware Knowledge Base https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2109881:

Hardware health service name is 'vmwarevws'

so basically You can run below commands in vc command line

To stop

service-control --stop vmwarevws

And then start

service-control --start vmwarevws

And wait for atleast 20 minutes for hardware health to be filled up.

Then try cable pull test. Also wait for at least 5 minutes before plugging cable in

If you still did not get any alarm then follow below steps

If you are using vcsa then check files under /storage/core/vmware-vws directory for any *-err.txt file.

If you find any such file, and If you can then please upload content of those here for further analysis.

If you are using windows vc then content path will be under  "C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\data\core\vmware-vws"

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful