VMware Cloud Community
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

Hardware Status on Supermicro Mainboards not working in vCenter 6.5

Hello,

I have many types of SuperMicro Mainboards in service, some have local disks attached to LSI HBA's (vSAN nodes). I'm not going to list all the MB models as it's not that relevant.

On all systems, without exception, the hardware sensor status does not work at all in vCenter since upgrading to vCenter 6.5 and ESXi 6.5.

Windows vCenter or the appliance both have the same issue.

Two hosts are still on ESXi 6.0 (for reasons I won't go into now) and their hardware statuses are displayed fine in vCenter 6.5. Only the combination ESXi 6.5 with vCenter 6.5 has these issues.

All ESXi 6.5 hosts have working hardware statuses when viewed with their embedded host client WebGUI's. Meaning that the data is retrieved from all motherboards correctly and displayed correctly locally.

Just not in vCenter.

Yes, I have read every blog and KB article I could find.

I can restart daemons and what not all day long, no ESXi 6.5 host has working HW stats in vCenter. We are at vCenter 6.5d at the moment and it is still broken.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Are there any errors that appear in the vpxd log after attempting to view the hardware status? This can also be checked in the vpxa log on the ESXi host.  Maybe something there can provide a clue to the issue.  Let me know if anything sticks out.

0 Kudos
kbiradar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there

This issue might be cuased by LSI CIM provider.

Just try to disable CIM service and moniter the hardware health status in vCenter

Here is command to stop CIM service

esxcli system wbem set -e false

Run this command on affected host and see if that works

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful