VMware Cloud Community
hopit
Contributor
Contributor

HP Proliant DL360 Gen9 + VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 8294253 = Host hardware fan status error reading 0 RPM for empty fan bays

This issue does not show up on VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 7967591 (U1). Once I upgraded to U2 the erroneous issue shows up.

iLO shows Fan 1 & 2 are NOT installed

2018-05-10_10-09-01.png

host (and vcenter) shows them as installed with 0 RPM reading

2018-05-10_10-13-48.png

2018-05-10_10-11-30.png

HP support keeps pointing me to the URL (Using HPE Custom ESXi Images to Install ESXi on HPE ProLiant Servers | HPE ) which I reassured them I used to update 6.5 U1 to 6.5 U2. Reset logs/sensors doesnt work as well.

I checked HCL and the server build is most definitely on it but i guess thats just a grey area until its verified.

Oh happy days.

Anyone having the same issue?

55 Replies
erkir
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm same.

When upgrading from HPE ESXi 6.5U1 image to HPE ESXi 6.5 U2 image Gen9 servers will report fans 1 and 2 (not installed) as warning because of fan speed reading 0.

This is problem because monitoring reports those hosts as broken hardware.

Different scenario where doing clean installation of HPE ESXi 6.5U2 to DL360Gen10 with fan1/2 not installed does not create that error condition.

0 Kudos
MSchnee17031982
Contributor
Contributor

Here the same.

After Upgrade from 6.5. U1 to 6.5 U2 on DL 380p Gen8 shows warnings on empty fan slots.

Reset logs/sensors doesnt work as well.

0 Kudos
hopit
Contributor
Contributor

Whats funny is that my old ProLiant ML350p Gen8 host (which isnt supposed to be VMware HCL) is fine on 6.5 U2.

0 Kudos
the_city_road
Contributor
Contributor

Situation is the same on ESXi 6.7 (HPE Custom Build) - fans 1 & 2 aren't present (in fact, aren't supported by HPE) on a single-CPU DL360 (Gen 9) but show as error on System Sensor tab.

Ian

DiVaio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All, I have the same problem with two HP ProLiant ML350 Gen9, fans slot 1 and 5 are not populated but I receive errors.

Both servers are fully updated with the latest BIOS and firmware from HPE.

From my tests the error happens with both upgrade or fresh install of ESXi 6.5.0 Update 2.

Moreover I got the same errors using both the HPE customized ESXi ISO and VMware standard ISO + updates via VUM and HPE vibsdepot.

This is really frustrating... I'm going to open a ticket to VMware and HPE.

I will keep you updated.

Random77895
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same issue on two of the three DL360 Gen9's I updated.  Were you able to learn anything helpful last week?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Same for us with an HP DL380 G8.

vSphere complains about empty fan slot 6, whereas the iLO board doesn't report any issue.

I use the HP image for the G8 and tested the one for the G9 which didn't recongnize all NICs. So I went back to HPE-ESXi-6.5.0-Update1-iso-650.U1.10.1.5.26 build 6765664.

BIOS: P73 01/22=2018

Did I already mention thet the web client is the worst thing I ever got from VMWare?

Cheers

AWo

P.S.

Nice to see that the community is still there. And not too many gurus passed me. 😉

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
DiVaio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not any good news yet from HPE... I will open a ticket to VMware too.

Be sure that I will keep you updated! Wish me good luck Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
hopit
Contributor
Contributor

just installed the "missing" fans ($30 ea) until VMware and/or HP gets their damn act together.

the_city_road
Contributor
Contributor

Ha, yes I was seriously looking at the price for a second CPU and the fan kit just to work around the damn alert until they get it sorted!

0 Kudos
DiVaio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Small update, VMware support is aware of the bug and promised me a rapid solution...

jbannink
Contributor
Contributor

I see the same issue. On two HP DL360 after updating to 6.5U2. I've also tried resetting/updating the sensors and done everything posted online to get this resolved, to no avail.

You mentioned vmware is aware of the bug, did they give you a time frame as to when they expect to have a solution for us?

0 Kudos
scsiboy71
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same issue after the 6.5u2 update on two DL360p Gen 8 servers. Annoying to say the least. Is there an open case on this bugfix or an ETA?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Rick_Star
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi DiVaio,

​I am a TAM working for VMware and one of my customers directed me to this "FAN issue" thread. I saw that you've posted that you have opened an SR for this issue. Could you be so kind to provide me the SR#, so I can check the status and attach my Customers Tickets to it?

​Thanks so much,

​Rick

​TAM @ VMware

Rick Hoffmann
Cloud Customer Success Architect - VMware Cloud
VMware Inc.
http://cloudsuccess.blog
0 Kudos
indreek
Contributor
Contributor

Having the excact same issue with 6.7  + ProLiant DL360 Gen9 .

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
08Martin80
Contributor
Contributor

same issue on HP DL380 gen 8 and (not supported) HP ML350g5

0 Kudos
DiVaio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Rick,

my SR# is 18814342905.

Actually the "solution" proposed by the VMware engeneer is to wait and ignore the alert, because it doesn't impact the server operation and fix will be released in the NEXT release (unknown date) of both ESXi 6.5 and 6.7 - this is not a solution from my point of view!

Probably the issue doesn't impacted the server functions, but it impacted my life, with a night of troubleshooting! It also impacted my time on the job to search for solutions and open tickets to both HPE and VMware!

Moreover in my understanding this error impacted only the HPE customers. In particular a large part of server system from the series G9 and below.

In my case the series ML350 G9 is marked as fully supported by ESXi 6.5 U2 on the HPE support matrix http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/vmware.aspx

In reality it is not! Honestly my sensation is that no one in both VMware and HPE ever tested ESXi 6.5 U2 on any Gen9 system!

This is bad. It is bad for your customers, it is bad for the reputation of HPE.

My hope is that you will come back here with a "real solution" and that VMware will release quickly a patched ISO, for both the actual ESXi 6.5 U2 and 6.7.

Thank you and best regards,

G. Di Vaio

Rick_Star
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi DiVaio,

thanks for the SR Number, I'll see what I can do to get a more specific answer on this issue.

However, since you've mentioned that this is only an issue with HPE:

all drivers and Custom ISOs are provided by the respective vendors. These are not maintained by VMware, this is in fact an obligation of the hardware vendors. VMware is only hosting the Custom ISOs, Drivers, etc.

Same goes for testing - all Vendors are obliged to test their HW and certify it with us. VMware can not test every Hardware themselves - I believe we wouldn't have any resources left for support, engineering, etc, if we did 😉 (But that is my personal view, obviously!)

See VMware Knowledge Base and VMware Ready Program, VMware Partner Programs for more on certification.

However, as said: I will try to get a more detailed answer for you and update here, once received.

Thank you for your patience and for taking the time to post your details here.

Have a good weekend,

Rick

Rick Hoffmann
Cloud Customer Success Architect - VMware Cloud
VMware Inc.
http://cloudsuccess.blog
0 Kudos
KazO
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also seeing this on a DL360Gen9 as well as a Gen10, but only after patching to 6.5 b8294253. Wasn't happening when still on on b7967591, and other 1P hosts with the same fan config still on b7967591 are fine, so I can only surmise it was introduced somewhere between those two releases.

Kazuto Okayasu Administrative Computing Services University of California, Irvine
0 Kudos