VMware Cloud Community
JaapB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA not working properly

Hi,

I have created a new cluster with 3 hosts (A,B,C) and enable HA/DRS on that cluster. In order to check the configuration i performed the following actions:

• put the host B containing a VM in maintenance mode. The VM was transfered to host C in the cluster
  • exit maintenance mode on host B
  • shutdown the host containing the VM (host C) in vcenter. The VM was transfered to Host B, but on host A i got the following configuration issue "the vSphere HA agent on this host cannot reach some of the management network addresses of the other hosts, and HA may not be able to restart VMs if a host failure occurs: host C"

Anybody seen this issue before and knows how to resolve it?

Any help will be appriceated.

JaapB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

JaapB wrote:

Hi,

I have created a new cluster with 3 hosts (A,B,C) and enable HA/DRS on that cluster. In order to check the configuration i performed the following actions:

• put the host B containing a VM in maintenance mode. The VM was transfered to host C in the cluster
  • shutdown the host containing the VM (host C) in vcenter. The VM was transfered to Host B, but on host A i got the following configuration issue "the vSphere HA agent on this host cannot reach some of the management network addresses of the other hosts, and HA may not be able to restart VMs if a host failure occurs: host C"

JaapB

So you took host C down hard to test HA.

that is why you are getting the message

if you had placed host c in to maintnence mode and shut it down you wouldnt.

HA is saying that htere is a missing host.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201626...

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
fvanrooyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you tried using the "Reconfigure for vSphere HA" on Host A ?

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

JaapB wrote:

Hi,

JaapB

So you took host C down hard to test HA.

that is why you are getting the message

if you had placed host c in to maintnence mode and shut it down you wouldnt.

HA is saying that htere is a missing host.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201626...

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
JaapB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried that already but it did not help.

0 Kudos
fvanrooyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you planning on adding the host back? If not you can also try and reconfigure HA for the cluster...

0 Kudos
JaapB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm planning to put host A back in the cluster, but first this issue needs to be fixed. This test is just to simulate a crash from a host.

0 Kudos
JaapB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have read the article. So if i understand it correctly this is by design and it is normal i get this message on one of the hosts.

0 Kudos
fvanrooyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, this is normal behavior for what happened.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

JaapB wrote:

I'm planning to put host A back in the cluster, but first this issue needs to be fixed. This test is just to simulate a crash from a host.

The problem is that the "fix" is to bring host A back online.

All it's doing is telling you that host A is not online - which is correct.

0 Kudos