VMware Cloud Community
macqqqq
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HA agent on this host could not reach isolaion address....

I'm confused on my test environment i get this error "HA agent on this host could not reach isolaion address...." so what does it mean excatly ?

hosts cant ping gateway address but they can talk with each other....so what will happen in any fail situation ? HA wont work ? or what ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the host fails then HA will restart all the VM's as defined by you in HA settings. So no problem with HA, It will work. However in your case HA will trigger the setting which you have set in Host isolation response(by default is it leave vms power on).  To avoid this error create a secondary management network where all the host can communicate. That will not trigger Host isolation response. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

DJ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESXi hosts in a HA cluster communicate with each other by sending/receiving heartbeats. If an ESXi host doesn't receive heartbeats from other hosts anymore, it starts checking whether it is isolated from the network, that's whether the isolation address comes into play. If the isolation address cannot be reached (pinged), the hosts considers itself isolated and will trigger Isolation Response (e.g. Leave Powered On, Shut Down Guest, Power Off). With an unreachable Isolation Address, HA may trigger even if it is not necessary. So if the Default Gateway cannot be pinged, you may want to define another commonly reachable IP address for the hosts (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002117)

André

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the host fails then HA will restart all the VM's as defined by you in HA settings. So no problem with HA, It will work. However in your case HA will trigger the setting which you have set in Host isolation response(by default is it leave vms power on).  To avoid this error create a secondary management network where all the host can communicate. That will not trigger Host isolation response. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos